Saturday, July 26, 2008

Tiberius, Family, and Hospitality

Entry 11: Tuesday, July 8th
TIBERIAS

After Tsfat, in the evening, we drive to Tiberius to visit more cousins: Robby, his sister Violet, and his wife Chava. I ask Dad how we’re related and he tries to explain/figure it out (something like second cousins), but then he sighs and says “Don’t ask me.” In this land, I learn that the important thing about relations is not how we’re related but simply that we are.
Regarding the Tiberius vistas: I’m sorry to say, that I have no really excellent photos of the terrain. Suffice it to say that the land is awe-inspiring. Visualize a combination between the Southwest, like Arizona and Utah and New Mexico, but with palm trees, and white rocks against the brown/red hill/mountains, and the sea of Galilee usually in sight, and pockets of settlements. An interesting observation-- the way to discern Israeli settlements from Arab settlements: Israeli settlements often have red roof tiles/shingles and the layout of the settlement is more spatially organized. Ronnie mentioned that it’s typical that one Arab household might need to enter their house by walking through the backyard of another’s. On a somewhat related note, I’d like to add that I cannot believe that the Jewish State is all that it is…in 60 years. Sixty years! Sixty years and Israel is top in technology know-how, military prowess, the performing arts (I say, especially with the representation of Bat Sheva Dance Company). The variety of successes in farming and kibbutzim, in the sprawling urban centers, in the relaxed and opulent suburban lifestyles…I cannot believe this state was made in 60 years; that’s less than a lifetime. Within my lifetime, I hope that I can accomplish (on an individual scale) a fraction of that of Israel. Now wouldn’t that be a full life! How was this possible, how has Israel birthed itself and grown and flourished and prospered? I think it can all be traced to two sources: the supreme leaders, like Theodore Hertzel, and David Ben-Gurion, and Golde Meir, and the exquisite spiritual and physical make-up of the Jewish people. During Birthright we visited Mt. Hertzel which included a visit to the tombs of the great Israeli leaders (see pictures!). I’d like to make a dance, inspired by and paying tribute to the great leaders.

Back to the Tiberius:
When I drive through the Tiberius, I wish could go back in time. At this moment in time, I have an uncanny desire to be a shepherd (or I guess a shepherdess), and spend my days alone with my thoughts, and the sheep and the rocks, along the Galilee.
When I look at the mountains both rising up and enfolding the Sea, I think that if I didn’t believe in G-d, viewing this vista would make me a believer. To think that this was the everyday, ho-hum scenery of the Jews of the past. I’m still unclear what to call the Jews of the past—Hebrews? Israelites? (Or is that just for the Passover, pre-Exodus period). I’ve been thoroughly enjoying the book, Jewish Literacy by Rabbi Joseph Telushkin (that my dear friend Cantor Riki Lippitz gave me), and I’ve discovered that Jewish history is fascinating. It’s such a page turner! So much inspiration for future plays!

Back to the Tiberius: Some thoughts on Family, Priorities, and Hospitality
Our friends, our family, all the homes that we go to, we are welcomed with such hospitality. Dad hasn’t seen or spoken to Robby for forty years. Dad called him yesterday to share that we would be in the area. Who knows what changes he and his wife and his sister made to their schedules. After forty years, and with mention of family it was like, “Of course you’re coming over and we can’t wait to see you!”
Everyone feeds us so well (See picture! of Chava’s hospitality!) You can see the overflowing bowl of Boikos, paddies with cheese, which aren’t Israeli I’m told, for the Boikos as do the Orchas, originate from Spain. I think to myself, as I smear on some LabanĂ©, which is a spreadable seasoned yogurt, perhaps my Grandfather Gabriel ate this same dish. Everywhere we go everyone feeds us so well!
It makes me excited for the time when I can host and feed travelers.

No comments: